Note: this website has been set up as a resource for information on artificial water fluoridation, with a focus specifically on what is happening here in Peel Region. Below are some basic fluoridation facts. We have barely touched upon the health effects of fluoride – a neurotoxic, carcinogenic, endocrine-disrupting, enzyme-inhibiting free radical.
For more comprehensive information on water fluoridation – a harmful and illegal uncontrolled medical experiment being forced on unsuspecting residents – please visit Fluoride Action Network. (There are over 53,000 fluoride studies listed on PubMed alone!)
For more information specific to Canada, please visit Canadians Opposed to Fluoridation.
“Health Canada does not consider fluoride as an essential nutrient.”
November 2007: AG Petition 221, Response # 22 http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/pet_221_e_30308.html
EPA scientists oppose fluoridation
Groups Urge EPA to Ban Fluoridation Based on Risk to Brain
New Study Quantifies Fluoride’s Potential to Lower IQ in Children
U.S. National Institute of Health questions fluoridation’s safety, funds Canadian study on effects to developing brains
Over 300 studies indicate that fluoride is neurotoxic
Canadian researcher Ashley Malin wrote to members of Peel’s Community Water Fluoridation Committee in September 2015 about her concerns regarding her ADHD research findings
Toxicologist Paul Connett PhD: there is no adequate margin of safety with water fluoridation to protect all members of a diverse community from injury to the brain
The EPA tampered with a fluoride cancer study, in order to protect the water fluoridation program and industry polluters. Fluoridation should have ended years ago.
Dr. A.K. Susheela, the world renowned expert on fluoride toxicity and fluorosis with over 35 years of research and clinical experience – who has worked with patients exposed to a wide range of fluoride concentrations in their drinking water, with some concentrations lower than Peel’s – told the Community Water Fluoridation Committee:
- fluoride is NOT a nutrient
- fluoride is NOT needed to prevent tooth decay
- cavities result from a bacterial disorder caused by poor nutrition and poor oral hygienic
- fluoride is a “deadly poison”; it is disease-promoting, not disease-preventing – the less, the better!
- water fluoridation is a serious threat to health
- medical professionals in fluoridating countries are not taught to consider, test for, diagnose or treat fluoride toxicity
Local News Article: Brampton Guardian, Oct 15, 2016: http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/6912754–fluoride-is-a-deadly-poison-peel-s-water-fluoridation-committee-has-heard/
Can you spot the problem in the plots below?
Fluorosis and Associated Health Issues: 2015 peer-reviewed study on fluorosis, by world expert Dr. A.K. Susheela
Read more (dental fluorosis is just one of many types of fluorosis)
Sheldon Thomas, former Manager of Water Distribution for the City of Hamilton ON, spent over a quarter of a century managing Hamilton’s water infrastructure: “Artificial Water Fluoridation: Off to a poor start / Fluoride injures the newborn“
A 350ml glass of Peel’s F’d tap water has the same dose of fluoride as found in a pea-sized bit of F’d toothpaste. We are warned to monitor children while they brush with a pea or rice-sized bit of toothpaste and make sure they spit it out, or not even give it to them in case they swallow it, while unlimited ingestion of fluoridated tap water is encouraged
CDC calls fluoridation “one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century” while quietly warning parents of risk of dental fluorosis
Dental fluorosis is visible proof of harm caused by over-exposure to fluoride
Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guideline Technical Document Fluoride, 2010, Health Canada: http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/publications/healthy-living-vie-saine/water-fluoride-fluorure-eau/index-eng.php?page=3#a101
Peel’s 2003 Children’s Dental Health Report: 13% of children had dental fluorosis – 3% with moderate fluorosis, 1% with severe
Peel’s own commissioned 2007 fluoridation study: no difference in cavity rates, but double the fluorosis for children in fluoridated areas (34% vs. 16%)
Dr. Dick Ito compared SES-matched samples of 7 year-old school children from fluoridated Brampton and unfluoridated Caledon. Even in the unfluoridated sample, 16% of our children had already been harmed by over-exposure to fluoride. This isn’t rocket science – we shouldn’t be adding something to our water when our children have already been over-exposed to it.
Infants consuming fluoridated tap water have the HIGHEST fluoride intakes of any age group (up to 0.21 mg of fluoride per kg of body weight per day – Source: EPA-822-R-00-001, 2004)
EPA’s Reference Dose for Chronic Oral Fluoride Exposure: 60 ug/kg/day = 0.06 mg/kg/day
based on noncarcinogenic effects only: https://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/iris/iris_documents/documents/subst/0053_summary.pdf
Health Canada: infants whose formula is mixed with fluoridated water consume up to 120 ug/kg/day = 0.12 mg/kg/day
based on 1ppm in water. At 0.7ppm, some of Peel’s infants are receiving more than 60ug/kg/day, yet the Region does not even ensure that residents know their water is fluoridated, let alone warn of any health risks.
The prestigious 2006 NRC report “FLUORIDE IN DRINKING WATER: A Scientific Review of EPA’s Standards“,
page 263: “In humans, effects on thyroid function were associated with fluoride exposures of 0.05-0.13 mg/kg/day when iodine intake was adequate and 0.01-0.03 mg/kg/day when iodine intake was inadequate.”
The Region’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Eileen De Villa, fails to provide even one adequate study
to prove that Peel’s residents are safe from neurological or other adverse effects, or that water fluoridation is effective at preventing cavities, and denies that dental fluorosis is an adverse effect
Toxicologist Paul Connett, PhD, co-author of
The Case Against Fluoride, issued a scathing commentary on Dr. De Villa’s review of the scientific literature
Our ‘free dental care for the poor‘, hydrofluorosilicic acid (HFSA, aka fluosilicic acid), has never been approved as a drug, food additive or nutritional supplement
HFSA is expensive-to-dispose-of toxic waste collected in the smokestacks of the phosphate fertilizer industry and a source of water pollution (March 30, 1983 Memo from Rebecca Hanmer, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Water, EPA: http://www.fluoridefreepeel.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/hanmer1983.pdf)
HFSA is not procured under any grade classification
HFSA is contaminated with many potent toxins including arsenic, lead and hydrogen fluoride.
Certificate of Analysis from Lakeview Water Treatment Facility in Mississauga, As = arsenic, Pb = lead, HF = hydrogen fluoride): http://www.fluoridefreepeel.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/20130705121108426.pdf)
Inorganic fluorides are #40 on Schedule 1 of the Toxic Substances List maintained by Environment and Climate Change Canada.
Environment and Climate Change Canada: “…inorganic fluorides are entering the environment in quantities or under conditions that may be harmful to the environment“
Health Canada’s 2014 Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality recommend that arsenic and lead levels be kept as low as possible; HC’s arsenic guideline is based on achievability, not safety; HC’s lead guideline is grossly outdated.
The U.S. EPA’s Public Health Goal / Maximum Contaminant Level Goal (MCLG) for both arsenic and lead is zero. The MCLG is defined as “the level of a contaminant in drinking water below which there is no known or expected risk to health”
The World Health Organization states that “Lead is a cumulative toxicant that affects multiple body systems and is particularly harmful to children… There is no known level of lead exposure that is considered safe“;
Canadian researchers are also telling us that they have “incredibly solid evidence to say there is no safe level (of lead)”
Both Fluorine and HFSA are classified as Dangerous Goods / Hazardous Materials in Transport Canada’s 2012 Emergency Response Guidebook
See pages 22, 38, 116, 120: http://phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/Hazmat/ERG2012.pdf
Material Safety Data Sheets for HFSA
The non-governmental private organization that ‘certifies’ HFSA for use in Canada takes no responsibly & makes no claims regarding safety
NSF/ANSI 60 – 2016: http://www.nsf.org/newsroom_pdf/NSF-ANSI_60_watemarked.pdf) NSF officials have admitted that they have not conducted any of the 20 toxicology studies normally required for certification of a chemical under NSF-ANSI 60
Health Canada says that NSF certification requires a toxicology review of HFSA…
… but Health Canada also admits it has no toxicology studies on HFSA (and no double-blind randomized clinical trials of fluoridation, and thus no studies adequate to establish the alleged safety or efficacy of fluoridation); the Region, the province and the NSF are also unable to supply any such studies
(Access to Information Request A-2014-00168: http://www.fluoridefreepeel.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Health-Canada-FOI-Response-Letter-June2014.pdf)
2015 Cochrane review of Water fluoridation to Prevent Tooth Decay
“We had concerns about the methods used, or the reporting of the results, in the vast majority (97%) of the studies… There is very little contemporary evidence, meeting the review’s inclusion criteria, that has evaluated the effectiveness of water fluoridation for the prevention of caries. .. Our confidence in the size of the effect estimates is limited by the observational nature of the study designs, the high risk of bias within the studies and, importantly, the applicability of the evidence to current lifestyles. We did not identify any evidence, meeting the review’s inclusion criteria, to determine the effectiveness of water fluoridation for preventing caries in adults.” http://www.cochrane.org/CD010856/ORAL_water-fluoridation-prevent-tooth-decay
Debunking the ‘HFSA Dissociates, There’s No Need for Toxicology Studies‘ Argument
Dissociation update (January 10, 2017): Dr. de Villa has still not provided evidence that supports her claim that HFSA dissociates 100% in our tap water, nor has she addressed concern that any HFSA that may dissociate might reassociate under acidic conditions such as in tea, coffee and the intestines of residents, nor has she addressed concern that compounds even more toxic than HFSA may form, nor has she addressed synergistic effects among contaminants (such as fluoride’s ability to increase uptake of aluminum).
Fluoridation is not water treatment – it is mass medication of residents
Water treatment treats the water, to make it potable and safe to drink. Fluoridation has the completely separate goal of medicating residents, without informed consent, for the stated purpose of reducing cavities – which fluoridation has never been proven to accomplish.
Canada’s Supreme Court stated in a 1957 decision that fluoridation is mass compulsory medication – illegal in Canada
Lawyer Nader Hasan warned Council in June 2014 that fluoridation violates our Canadian Charter rights, the Food and Drugs Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Municipal Act.
Nader’s Legal Opinion includes an affidavit from fluoride toxicity expert Kathleen Thiessen, PhD: http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/peel.june2014.pdf;
Video of Nader’s presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPeLFAiUXM
Region of Peel June 26, 2014 Council Meeting Minutes: https://www.peelregion.ca/council/council_minutes/2010s/2014/rcmin20140626.htm ;
Regulated health professionals are prohibited from medicating even one person without informed consent, but with water fluoridation an entire community is medicated without consent
Health Care Consent Act, 1996: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/96h02
Water fluoridation is not ethical
“Compulsory Water Fluoridation: Justifiable Public Health Benefit or Human Experimental Research Without Informed Consent? …CONCLUSION The evidence continues to suggest that compulsory water fluoridation is no longer justifiable as a public health benefit….water fluoridation is in effect an unproven human subjects research experiment and continued imposition of compulsory water fluoridation schemes violates numerous legal and ethical human subjects research protocols…”
http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1614&context=wmelpr (published in the Law and Policy Review journal of the William and Mary Law School: http://law.wm.edu/)
Ontario’s fluoridation-promoting Medical Officers of Health belong to the Association of Local Public Health Agencies (alPHa), which warns members “there is no place for personal views on fluoridation”
AlPHA‘s 10-Feb-2011 meeting notes, see page 5: http://www.fluoridefreepeel.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ALPHAs-Final-Notes-Water-Fluoridation-Session-10-Feb-2011.pdf
AlPHA provides “leadership to the boards of health and public health units in Ontario”, yet AlPHA‘s Strategic Plan has nothing to do with helping the public, rather its aim is to “promote, represent, enrich, support and connect members”
Children’s dental health improving [no water fluoridation needed!]
An innovative dental health programme is dramatically improving children’s dental health and saving nearly £5 million a year in treatment costs avoided, Public Health Minister Maureen Watt said today.
Below we share further content, much of which was kindly donated by Fluoride Free Lethbridge, and edited by FFP.
Dr. Hardy Limeback, B.Sc., Ph.D., in Biochemistry, D.D.S., former head of the Department of Preventive Dentistry for the University of Toronto, and past president of the Canadian Association for Dental Research, is Canada’s leading fluoride authority and, at one time was the country’s primary promoter of the controversial additive. Here’s what he now has to say about water fluoridation:
“Children under three should never use fluoridated toothpaste,” he counseled. “Or drink fluoridated water. And baby formula must never be made up using Toronto tap water. Never.”
“The additives are a toxic byproduct of the super-phosphate fertilizer industry. Tragically”, he continued, “that means we’re not just dumping toxic fluoride into our drinking water. We’re also exposing innocent, unsuspecting people to deadly elements of lead, arsenic and radium, all of them carcinogenic. Because of the cumulative properties of toxins, the detrimental effects on human health are catastrophic.” Source
Why I am now officially opposed to adding fluoride to drinking water — Dr. Hardy Limeback, B.Sc., Ph.D.
Frightening Fluoride Facts:
- Fluoride is the only drug that is forced as mass medication of the population with no control of dosing.
- Fluoridated residents are not monitored for signs of toxicity.
- Visible proof of overexposure to fluoride (dental fluorosis) is dismissed as ‘merely cosmetic’ rather than treated as a marker of fluoride toxicity. Yes, the very part of our body that is supposed to benefit from fluoride is actually harmed by fluoride. Click here to read about the Region’s Medical Officer of Health’s attitude towards dental fluorosis.
- Communities have been duped into buying toxic waste from the phosphate industry, thereby saving that industry the enormous cost of properly disposing of it, and dumping it into municipal water as a form of ‘free dental care for the poor‘.
- Remember, doctors once promoted thalidomide and tobacco, and dentists promoted toxic mercury fillings (many still do). On record, these institutions have approved many substances that have been proven harmful.
- Studies sanctioning fluoridation, like the McLaren L, et al. 2016 study that caused such a media uproar, are seriously flawed.
- Long-lost research linking fluoride to cancer has resurfaced in a Dutch film clip featuring Dr. Dean Burk, who in 1937 co-founded the US National Cancer Institute (NCI) and headed its cytochemistry department for over 30 years.In the taped interview, he equates water fluoridation to “public murder,” referring to a study that had been done on the 10 largest U.S. cities with fluoridation compared to the 10 largest cities without it.The study clearly demonstrated that deaths from cancer abruptly rose within five years after fluoridation began. This and other studies linking fluoride to cancer were government-ordered but were quickly buried once fluoride was found to be linked to dramatic increases in cancer.Learn about other cancer/fluoride studies here.
- After years of being told otherwise, water fluoridation does not reduce tooth decay. Recent large-scale studies from the United States have found little practical or statistical difference in tooth decay rates among children living in fluoridated versus non-fluoridated areas. In addition, data compiled by the World Health Organization (WHO) shows that tooth decay rates have declined just as rapidly in non-fluoridated western countries as they have in fluoridated western countries. Source
- In 1999, Toronto, which had been fluoridating for 36 years, had a higher cavity rate than Vancouver, which had never fluoridated. Source
- As reported in the World Dental Health Magazine (April, 2010), “Statistics from a study conducted by the New Zealand Ministry of Health suggest that there are no advantages derived from fluoridation. These statistics actually match similar arguments set forth by the American Dental Association.” Source
- Forty-one percent of American children have dental fluorosis caused by excess fluoride, according to evidence from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Source
- Fifty percent of the ingested fluoride is deposited in the bones of children. Source
- Ninety-nine percent of fluoride added to our water goes down the drain to destroy the environment without any good purpose whatsoever. Source
- If you did need fluoride for dental treatment (and you don’t), it’s proven it would only work applied to the surface of the teeth, instead of drinking it.
- The fluoride you ingest affects your entire body, not just your teeth, in many seriously harmful ways.
The currently “safe” fluoride dose is toxic to bones, causing skeletal fluorosis and osteoarthritis, is a cause of hyperthyroidism and thyroid disease, impacts the pineal gland and is an endocrine disruptor. Source
- The main chemicals used to fluoridate drinking water are known as “silicofluorides” (i.e., hydrofluorosilicic acid and sodium fluorosilicate). Silicofluorides are not pharmaceutical-grade fluoride products; they are unprocessed industrial waste products of the phosphate fertilizer industry.
Bluntly, the substance is the scrubbings straight from plant smokestacks. How good is that? Source
Dr. J. William Hirzy (2000) Senior Chemist at the U.S. EPA Headquarters states:
“If this stuff (hydrofluorosilicic acid) gets out into the air, it’s a pollutant; if it gets into the river, it’s a pollutant; if it gets into the lake, it’s a pollutant; but if it goes right straight into your drinking water system, it’s not a pollutant. That’s amazing.”
The reason hydrofluorosilicic acid was being captured from the smokestacks was the serious environmental damage it was doing. Now, it’s being added to our drinking water?! How is it that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency believes hydrofluorosilicic acid’s inorganic silicofluoride, lead, arsenic, mercury and radionuclides pose environmental harm to living things when diluted into the atmosphere and into natural waterways, but it’s safe to be added to drinking water? Source
Click to view: The EPA’s Solution to (Toxic Waste) Pollution is Dilution – in our Municipal Water (1983)
- This highly toxic substance must be handled with extreme caution and serious protective gear.
An accidental spill is cause for great alarm. A train derailment November 02, 2012 near Louisville, KT demonstrates the serious danger of handling this toxic substance: “‘Hydrogen fluoride is the chemical that first responders are most concerned about and it makes the greater risk for the community as well as the responders themselves,’ said Hamilton.
“Emergency management officials say those two train cars will be the last to go. The 1.2 mile evacuation order remains in effect until the cars carrying the hydrogen fluoride are removed.” Source
Closer to home, a spill at the Peel Region Water Treatment plant a few years ago required a Hazmat (hazardous materials) crew to clean up the area and truck all contaminated materials to Swan Hills for disposal.
- Fluoride has long been known to be a very toxic substance.
This is why, like arsenic, fluoride has been used in pesticides and rodenticides (to kill rats, insects, etc). It is also why the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now requires that all fluoride toothpaste sold in the U.S. carry a poison warning that instructs users to contact the poison control center if they swallow more than used for brushing. Source
- Fluoride is the only component that is not required for safety of water consumption.
- Fluoride is the only chemical added to the water to treat people who consume it, rather than the water itself.
- Fluoridating water supplies can thus fairly be described as a form of mass medication, which is why most European countries have rejected the practice.
- We still have this poison in our water while most developed nations in the world have rejected fluoridation, including 97% of Western Europe.
- The citizens of Peel Region are still being force medicated while many cities in North America have discontinued fluoridation.
Canadian cities which have recently rejected fluoridation include:
- Rosetown, Saskatchewan – July 16, 2012
- Orillia, Ontario – July 16, 2012
- Okotoks, Alberta – December 20, 2012
- Tecumseh, Ontario March 13, 2012
- Wynyard, Saskatchewan – March 1, 2012
- Amherstburg, Ontario – February 6, 2012
- Moncton, New Brunswick – December 19, 2011
- Dieppe, New Brunswick – December 12, 2011
- Lake Cowichan, British Columbia – November 19, 2011
- Williams Lake, British Columbia – November 19, 2011
- Lakeshore, Ontario – October 31, 2011
- Churchill, Manitoba – October 16, 2011
- Slave Lake, Alberta – September 12, 2011
- Taber, Alberta – July 20, 2011
- Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan – July 4, 2011
- Flin Flon, Manitoba – July 2011
- Calgary, Alberta – February 8, 2011
- Vercheres, Quebec – February 7, 2011
- Athabaska, Alberta – November 1, 2010
Many others are rising up for their rights to cease being medicated without their consent.
What Can You Do?
There are only two ways to remove this toxic waste from your water to save your health:
One is to buy expensive water filtration equipment. Fluoride (unlike chlorine) cannot be removed from water by simple filtration or boiling — only by reverse osmosis, distillation, or ion exchange (costly operations, equivalent to desalination of seawater). Cooking, dehydrating or baking with fluoridated water just concentrates the fluoride — it cooks down. Gardening with fluoridated water does the same thing — fluoride concentrates in the leaves, fruits and roots of the produce. Source
The other way is to inform the mayor and council of Peel Region that nobody has the right to mass medicate you against your will, without a medical prescription, without a diagnosed disease, and especially at your expense, never mind the right to poison you.
Realize that Peel Region taxpayers would not only be protecting their health, but saving over $1 per year per person (>$1,200,000) a year.
“What in the world is this stuff doing in our water?!?” many informed, educated, professional people are incredulously exclaiming.
Fluoride needs to be removed, case closed.
We ask for your support, for you, for loved ones, children, pets, for all of us, and for the health and great benefit of the environment. It’s the right thing to do.
Let the industries pay to dispose of their toxins, instead of charging us to be poisoned. Isn’t it time to join the many other communities and terminate this outrageous practice in Peel Region?
You may argue that you haven’t witnessed any ill effects in the years Peel Region has been fluoridated. We can provide you with sound science and testimonies of reputable professionals as to what this toxic industrial waste does and has insidiously done to you. Friends, we have gathered the necessary responsible information for your benefit.
Knowledge is power. Inform yourselves for goodness’ sake. Get wise on this issue. In this case, we say it is imperative that you do so. Read on! Study our site and join us in this battle worthy for all Peel Region water consumers to wage. Together we can and must win for our health.